Treating Eye Allergies in Dunedin, Fl
Millions of individuals suffer from eye allergies. Often, these types of allergies are acute and only occur during certain seasons or times of the year. Some people, however, have severe eye allergies and experience symptoms year-round. At Dunedin Eye Care in Dunedin, FL, we diagnose and treat individuals struggling with eye allergies.
What Are Eye Allergies?
Eye allergy symptoms occur when an allergen gets into the eyes or a condition that affects the eyes causes irritation. When your eyes are exposed to certain types of allergens, cells in your body release histamine that causes a variety of uncomfortable symptoms. The following are several reasons you may be struggling with eye allergies:
- Exposure to pet dander or dust
- Certain weeds, hay, and pollen often cause allergic reactions in the eyes.
- Molds, such as the types found in basements and bathrooms, can cause allergies.
- Sometimes chemicals, such as perfume, can cause allergic reactions.
- Medications may also cause eye allergy symptoms to occur.
What Symptoms Are Associated with Eye Allergies?
There are several symptoms you may experience when suffering from an eye allergy. Depending on the type of allergies you have, you may suffer from a few or several of the following symptoms:
- Eyes that are extremely red or swollen.
- Excessive itching or burning in the eyes.
- Blurry vision and sensitivity to light.
- Excessive tearing.
- Accompanying nasal symptoms.
How Are Eye Allergies Treated?
You'll want to find an optometry practice with experienced professionals who can diagnose and provide effective treatment for your eye condition. Our optometrist may offer one or more of the following treatments for eye allergies:
- You may be advised not to wear contacts or makeup until the symptoms are gone.
- More effective methods of home cleaning or using an air purifier may be needed.
- An optometrist may recommend over-the-counter or prescription eye drops.
- Oral medication is sometimes needed to control an eye allergy.
- You may need an allergy shot to reduce the symptoms of allergies.
How Can an Optometrist Help?
At Dunedin Eye Care, we are committed to providing the best eye care possible. Our services include eye exams, contact lenses, emergency eye care, and pre- and post-operative LASIK care. Dr. Stephanie Coates provides a personalized approach to optometry. If you're suffering from eye allergies, our team of professionals can diagnose and offer individualized treatment for your condition. Contact us today at Dunedin Eye Care in Dunedin, FL.