Optometry Services for Asthenopia (Eye Strain)
Eye strain is a very common condition and mostly occurs when the eyes are used intensely, such as when driving or using digital devices for a long time. It can also be a sign of a vision condition.
Do you frequently suffer from eye strain? At Dunedin Eye Care in Dunedin, FL, we can help you find relief. When you visit our eye hospital for eye health services, our optometrist will do comprehensive eye exams to check whether you have an underlying condition. They then will advise you on what to do to prevent the symptoms of eye strain. We may also recommend visual aids such as eyeglasses or prescribe medications.
Symptoms of Eye Strain
Some symptoms of eye strain may include:
- Blurred vision
- Dry eyes
- Poor concentration
- Watery eyes
- Increased light sensitivity
- Lack of concentration
Causes of Eye Strain
There are several causes of eye strain. It can be caused by eye health problems such as uncorrected refraction errors. Some activities may also cause it. These include:
- Using digital devices
Diagnosis and Treatment for Eye Strain
There are several tests an optometrist can conduct to determine whether you have eye strain or not. If diagnosed with the condition, the doctor will advise you on how to control it. Some of the things they might recommend include:
- Resting whenever you feel like your eyes are straining.
- Taking regular breaks when doing activities that require you to look at tiny objects
- Avoid dim lights when reading. Very bright lights are also not ideal for the eyes.
- Reducing screen time
- Improving the quality of air in your home since dry environments, fans, heating, and cooling units can cause eye strain
- Positioning computer eye screens at an arm's length. You should also position your screen at the eyes' level. The same should go for other digital devices such as phones
- Adjusting the font of computes and phones such that they are not very small or too large
Our eye doctor may also prescribe eyeglasses to use when reading or using digital devices.
If you have symptoms of dry eye, it's important to seek treatment as it not only makes you uncomfortable but can be a sign of another vision condition.
More Serious Causes of Eye Strain
If you continue to have eye strain, you may have conditions such as:
- Retinal problems
- Sleeping problems
- Macular degeneration
Get Eye Strain Treatment at Dunedin Eye Care
At Dunedin Eye Care in Dunedin, FL, we understand how uncomfortable eye strain can be and will help you get relief from it. If you have tried home remedies such as limiting digital devices usage and using proper lighting and the condition seems not to improve, we can help you get a solution after conducting eye exams. Call us at (727) 733-0443 to schedule a consultation with our optometrist.